FRANK DE BOER was sacked by Crystal Palace yesterday after only four Premier League matches in charge.
The club have acted after the Dutchman oversaw four top-flight defeats from the start of the season, making them the first team in England’s top division to do so without scoring since Preston 93 years ago.
Former England manager Roy Hodgson is widely understood to be next in the hot seat.
Crystal Palace said they had “parted company” with De Boer, thanking him for “his dedication and hard work during his time at the club.”
Despite an improved performance in Sunday’s 1-0 defeat at Burnley, whose goal was gifted to Chris Wood after an awful back-pass from Lee Chung Yong, Palace felt a new appointment was needed ahead of a difficult run of fixtures.
They host Southampton on Saturday before league games against Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea in the coming weeks. De Boer had overseen losses to Huddersfield, Liverpool and Swansea prior to the latest setback at Turf Moor. De Boer’s only competitive win came against Ipswich in the League Cup.
His departure from the club follows a similarly short stint at Inter Milan, who sacked him only 85 days after his appointment.
The 47-year-old had been at Selhurst Park for only 77 days after succeeding Sam Allardyce, and while that remains longer than the shortest term for any Premier League manager — Les Reed’s 40 days at Charlton — he oversaw two fewer games.
Amid his disappointing results he also had little good fortune. Wilfried Zaha has been injured since the opening day of the season, while the equally promising Ruben Loftus-Cheek was unavailable to play on Sunday.
Hodgson was also reportedly approached about replacing Alan Pardew when Allardyce was appointed last December. The 70-year-old has been out of management since resigning as England manager after their elimination by Iceland at Euro 2016.
In response to criticism following the Burnley defeat, club chairman Steve Parish wrote on Twitter: “People are frustrated, I’m frustrated, so are the management and players. We know we are better than this.
“We are four games in, it’s a terrible start but we have to stick together.”
De Boer had said after the loss at Burnley: “I am disappointed about the result but I am not disappointed about how we played. This is the starting point, because usually if you create that many chances against any opponent you will get what you deserve.
“What we showed gives us a lot of hope for the future.
“I am just focusing on what I can control and so are my staff and my players. [The future] is for other people to decide but while I’m the manager of Crystal Palace I will give 100 per cent.”