Skip to main content

Guantanamo detainee appears before review board

Ghaleb Nassar al-Bihani has been held for 12 years without charge

Guantanamo concentration camp detainee Ghaleb Nassar al-Bihani appeared in front of a new US government review board on Tuesday after being held for 12 years without charge.

Mr Bihani is the fourth Guantanamo prisoner to appear before the board, which is reviewing the status of nearly half of the 154 prisoners still held there.

The US government says Mr Bihani undertook terrorist training in Afghanistan and has a history of disciplinary infractions in custody.

But his lawyer says he was simply a cook’s assistant and poses no threat to the US.

Lawyer Pardiss Kebriaei said he would welcome resettlement to third countries or return to his native Yemen.

He previously petitioned a civilian court for release but was denied.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 13,755
We need:£ 4,245
4 Days remaining
Donate today