Skip to main content

Food experts call for rationing to see Britain through pandemic

RATIONING should be introduced to address the “emerging food crisis” caused by the Covid-19 pandemic instead of the government’s “weak and unconvincing” messages, experts said today. 

University of London’s Professor Tim Lang called on the government to “initiate a health-based food-rationing scheme to see the country through this crisis.” 

The lecturer on food policy is among a number of food experts calling on Prime Minister Boris Johnson to: “Announce immediately that this new food rationing scheme will be open, equitable and based on health needs, taking account of age, income, and vulnerability, and that this will be applied [across Britain].”

In a letter dated March 20, they said new measures “should start from Public Health England’s Eatwell Plate, our official nutrition guidelines, and draw on expertise from the devolved administrations, and relevant disciplines.”

The food experts are also calling on the government to “rapidly review options for ensuring people on low incomes have sufficient money to buy a decent diet,” and suggested a national voucher scheme for nutritionally sound purchases such as fruit and vegetables.

Mr Lang criticised the government for its current messaging on food supplies, saying they were “weak and unconvincing.” 

The retail industry has insisted over the last week that there is enough food for everyone and ministers have said rationing is unnecessary.

Environment Secretary George Eustice claimed that there is no shortage of food in Britain, with manufacturers having increased production by 50 per cent. 

However, shoppers have faced empty shelves, being unable to purchase staples such as eggs and pasta. 

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 3,787
We need:£ 14,213
28 Days remaining
Donate today