Skip to main content

Liverpool marks the 30th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster

LIVERPOOL came to a standstill today as the city marked the 30th anniversary of the Hillsborough football stadium disaster.

The anniversary came as family and friends of those who died still battle for justice for their loved ones.

Ninety-six lanterns were lit in the morning on the steps of St George’s Hall in tribute to the 96 Liverpool fans who died.

Banners with images of the victims killed by the human crush at an FA Cup semi-final game between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest were hung at the hall.

A minute’s silence was held across the city at 15:06 – the time the 1989 semi-final match was stopped.

The bells of the town hall rang 96 times following the silence while flags on civic buildings were flown at half mast.

Relatives of those who died and campaigners read out the names of the 96 at a monument dedicated to the victims in Liverpool city centre.

Sheila Coleman from the Hillsborough Justice Campaign told the crowd: “Let’s not ignore our achievements. One person has now been found guilty in relation to Hillsborough.

“And we can now say that the 96 were unlawfully killed. We wouldn’t have got these things without you fighting. Never underestimate what you have done.”

David Hughes, whose father died in the tragedy, tweeted: “Along with 95 beautiful Liverpool fans, he lost his life. I miss him every day. He was a good man. We don’t deserve this pain.”

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said: “My thoughts are with the loved ones of the 96 people who died and those living with its effects. It’s a particularly difficult time after the outcome of the trial. They’ve only ever wanted and campaigned for truth and justice.”

The tragedy happened on April 15 1989 at Sheffield’s Hillsborough football stadium.

Police allowed a crush to build up in the stadium’s Leppings Lane stand, leading to the deaths.

Earlier this month, the jury in the trial of Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield was unable to reach a verdict.

Graham Mackrell, the former Sheffield Wednesday club secretary, was found guilty at Preston Crown Court of failing to take reasonable care for the safety of Liverpool fans at the match.

 

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 13,711
We need:£ 4,289
7 Days remaining
Donate today