Skip to main content

Exclusive: Pentagon admits US and British soldiers died from friendly fire in Syria after Star's investigation

US SPECIAL FORCES have finally admitted that friendly fire killed a pair of British and US commandos in Syria last year, writes Phil Miller.

They issued the statement after an investigation by the Morning Star revealed the Pentagon’s original version of events was incorrect.

When SAS sniper Matt Tonroe and US soldier Jonathan Dunbar died last March in Manbij, the Pentagon said they were struck by an enemy mine.

But the Star obtained inquest records which showed investigators found no evidence of a roadside bomb. Instead, they concluded that an explosive carried by friendly forces had detonated accidentally.

Britain’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) confirmed our story on Friday evening and it was picked up around the world — but the Pentagon refused to comment.

On Monday night US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) finally broke its silence and told the Star: “USSOCOM confirms the accuracy of the comments the UK Ministry of Defence spokesman made about the cause of the death of British Army Sgt Matthew Tonroe.

“An investigation determined both US Army Master-Sgt Jonathan Dunbar and Sgt Tonroe died as a result of the accidental detonation of explosives carried by coalition forces, not by enemy action.

“Our thoughts continue to be with Master-Sgt Dunbar and Sgt Tonroe’s family and friends.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 7,738
We need:£ 10,262
15 Days remaining
Donate today