Skip to main content

Unsafe gas appliances riddle homes

A FIFTH of homes in Britain have unsafe gas appliances, according to the latest inspection figures.

Of 19,452 homes inspected between April last year and March 2019, 3,966, or one in five, were found to have unsafe appliances such as cookers, boilers or fires, the Gas Safe Register found.

The figures follow data from the UK Fire and Rescue Service showing cases of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning have increased by a third in the past five years, from 2,450 incidents in 2014 to 3,249.

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is produced when fuel does not burn properly, usually from badly fitted or poorly maintained appliances.

Common sources of carbon monoxide are gas and oil boilers, gas hobs and fires, log burners, open fires and barbecues.

A survey for the Gas Safe Register that found 92 per cent of carers for elderly or disabled people did not know at least one of the key signs that a gas appliance could be unsafe.

Gas Safe Register chief executive Jonathan Samuel said: “Unsafe appliances can be deadly and knowing the warning signs can protect you and your loved ones from harm.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 9,659
We need:£ 8,341
13 Days remaining
Donate today