Skip to main content

Men’s Tennis Djokovic in final bid to save Australian Open chances after visa cancelled for second time

NOVAK DJOKOVIC had his visa cancelled for a second time today, but could still play in the Australian Open.

The world number one had been waiting since a judge overturned the original decision on Monday to find out whether Immigration Minister Alex Hawke would use his powers to reimpose the penalty.

And, just before 6pm today, Hawke released a statement saying he had made the judgement to send Djokovic home “on health and good order grounds.”

But the legal process is far from at an end and both parties were back in front of Judge Anthony Kelly, who made Monday’s reversal, this evening.

Djokovic’s legal team confirmed they will seek the same outcome this time at a virtual hearing at the Federal Court of Australia on Sunday, the day before his first-round match against fellow Serbian Miomir Kecmanovic.

The world number one was allowed to stay at his rented accommodation last night but will be detained again at 8am this morning prior to a meeting with immigration officials.

He will remain in detention while he meets his legal team to prepare a case and then be held overnight, potentially back at the Park Hotel where he spent four nights last week.

Even if he wins, therefore, there must be major question marks over whether he will be in the right physical and mental state to compete at a grand slam regardless of his famous powers of resilience.

The Morrison government is firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Hawke’s legal representative, meanwhile, said the minister would not seek to deport Djokovic until proceedings were at an end, raising the possibility he could yet be sent home mid-tournament.

In his statement, Hawke said: “Today I exercised my power under section 133C(3) of the Migration Act to cancel the visa held by Mr Novak Djokovic on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so.

“This decision followed orders by the Federal Circuit and Family Court on 10 January 2022, quashing a prior cancellation decision on procedural fairness grounds.

“In making this decision, I carefully considered information provided to me by the Department of Home Affairs, the Australian Border Force and Mr Djokovic.”

The decision means Djokovic also faces a three-year ban from the country, which could mean he never plays at the Australian Open again, although that can be waived.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 13,797
We need:£ 4,203
11 Days remaining
Donate today