Skip to main content

Dons set date for Plough Lane return

AFC Wimbledon announced plans today to make their long-awaited move to Plough Lane on November 3.

The Dons have made returning to the site, where the original Wimbledon club spent 80 years, a goal since their foundation in 2002, with the tie against Doncaster pencilled in as the finish line.

Chief executive Joe Palmer said: “If all goes to plan, the Doncaster game will mark a real milestone. Not only will we be opening the doors on our brand new home, we will also be witnessing the start of a brand new era for our club.”

The club left their former home at south-west London’s Kingsmeadow at the end of last season and have been using QPR’s Loftus Road so far this campaign while the finishing touches are put to their new ground.

The date is subject to the stadium receiving a safety certificate after hosting a test event, which along with the Doncaster match will be held behind closed doors.

Palmer said: “We had hoped that at least some — if not all — fans would be allowed back into stadiums by October but, as you know by now, the government has currently abandoned those plans.”

“While everyone’s number one priority is safety, there is a powerful argument for a more pragmatic approach to live, open-air sport — and a real push to see fans back before Christmas.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 17,931
We need:£ 69
3 Days remaining
Donate today