Skip to main content

Labour demands Parliament haul in Sainsbury's boss over plans to end workers' paid breaks

LABOUR MPs are demanding that Sainsbury’s boss Mike Coupe be hauled before a parliamentary committee over his plans to end paid breaks for thousands of workers.

Mr Coupe, the supermarket giant’s chief executive, faces the prospect of having to explain himself over forced contract changes amid the company’s £12 billion merger with Asda.

Labour MP Siobhan McDonagh has written to fellow Labour MP Rachel Reeves, who chairs of the Commons business select committee, demanding that Mr Coupe be pressed for answers.

In her letter, Ms McDonagh said the “plight” of Sainsbury’s workers must be heard by the committee.

She wrote: “I ask that you consider a formal summons for Sainsbury’s chief executive Mike Coupe to appear before the committee to explain how he can justify slashing the pay of 9,000 of his most long-standing and loyal staff.”

The corporation plans to issue new staff contracts in September, with a number of key clauses of the previous contract being omitted.

While basic pay is being increased, premium rates for Sunday and paid breaks will be scrapped. meaning that each workers stands to lose around £400 a year.

Last week, more than 100 MPs wrote to Prime Minister Theresa May demanding that she speak to Mr Coupe to “ensure that no staff will face a pay cut.”

A spokesman for Sainsbury’s said: “We appreciate that a minority of colleagues do not stand to benefit from these plans.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 8,069
We need:£ 9,931
11 Days remaining
Donate today