Skip to main content

Men’s football FA staff take pay cuts

THE highest-paid staff at the FA will take wage cuts of up to 30 per cent as the organisation tries to manage the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

Chief executive Mark Bullingham outlined the cost-saving measures in a message to staff published on the body’s website today afternoon.

It was reported that England manager Gareth Southgate would sacrifice £225,000 over the next three months under the plan.

Bullingham proposed that staff earning more than £50,000 annually should take a cut of 7.5 per cent.

“In the spirit of those on higher salaries taking the greater responsibility, the senior management team have agreed to cut their pay by 15 per cent with the highest earners in the organisation agreeing to reduce their pay by up to 30 per cent.”

The FA is also looking at whether to utilise the government’s coronavirus job-retention scheme to furlough staff, Bullingham said.

The FA has had to absorb the cancellation of international matches, and money due for FA Cup ties is reported to have been withheld due to the suspension of the 2019-20 season.

“These are extraordinary and challenging times and we do not take these decisions lightly. However, as an organisation we will support each other as best we can.

“I’m incredibly proud of the way our workforce has adapted to the changeable circumstances. Their dedication and commitment to their roles has not wavered and their ongoing diligence has been exceptional.

“Their talent and passion drives this organisation to ever higher levels, and we are committed to doing everything we can to support and protect them.”

Bullingham said the financial impact of the pandemic on the FA was forecast to be in the region of £100 million.

In Formula One, Williams have announced that drivers George Russell and Nicholas Latifi have joined senior management in taking 20 per cent pay cuts as the team moves to furlough a number of staff during the coronavirus lockdown.

The F1 season is yet to get under way due to the pandemic, with no races scheduled until at least June 14, with the Canadian Grand Prix currently remaining on the schedule.

“Due to the ongoing situation involving Covid-19, Williams Racing is temporarily furloughing a number of employees as part of a wider range of cost-cutting measures,” a team statement said.

“The furlough period will last until the end of May whilst senior management, and our drivers, have taken a pay cut of 20 per cent effective from April 1.”

The statement added: “These decisions have not been taken lightly, however our aim is to protect the jobs of our staff at Grove and ensuring they can return to full-time work when the situation allows.”

The decision from Williams — who finished last in the Constructors’ Championship last season — follows a similar move from McLaren last week.

The Woking-based team have placed a number of staff on furlough while drivers Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris joined those staff members who continue to work in taking a salary reduction.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 20,377
We need:£ 0
4 Days remaining
Donate today