Skip to main content

Families of the Hillsborough 96 brand court's decision ‘shameful’

Former secretary of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club fined £6,500 for failing to ensure the safety of fans arriving at the ground

A COURT’S decision to fine the former secretary of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club for failing to ensure the safety of fans arriving at the ground on the day of the Hillsborough disaster was branded “shameful” today. 

Preston Crown Court fined Graham Mackrell, 69, who was safety officer for the club at the time of the 1989 FA Cup semi-final, £6,500 and ordered him to pay £5,000 in costs.

The court found Mackrell guilty of failing to discharge a duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act in respect of ensuring there were enough turnstiles to prevent unduly large crowds building up outside the ground.

The fine was based on his weekly income of £1,370, made up of £700 he earned as administrator for the Football League Managers’ Association and £670 from pensions, the court heard.

The court heard the arrangements meant there were seven turnstiles available for the 10,100 Liverpool fans with standing tickets.

The judge said: “He should have realised there was an obvious risk that so many spectators could not pass through seven turnstiles in time for kick-off.”

Ninety-six Liverpool fans died following the crush in the central pens of the Leppings Lane terrace at the match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest on April 15, 1989, after exit gates to the ground were opened to relieve a build-up of crowds outside.

But Judge Openshaw said Mackrell’s offence did not directly cause the disaster inside the ground.

Outside court an enraged Louise Brookes, whose brother Andrew died at Hillsborough, said: “Our 96 are dead and all it’s worth is £67.70 each.

“Shameful. Thirty years to get to this.

“Our 96 deserve better than this and us families deserve better than this. We are all getting on in age and enough is enough.”

Christine Burke, whose father Henry died in the disaster, said: “When Hillsborough happened he was in charge of the safety certificate at the time and he should have been sacked straightaway.

“There should have been no way that he could have pursued his career as he did do after Hillsborough.”

In a statement released after the hearing, Mackrell said: “I am grateful that today the judge recognised my conduct did not cause or contribute to the death of any person or cause any person to be injured on that tragic day.

“Despite that, I do wish to take this opportunity to make clear my sympathy to all those impacted by this appalling tragedy.

“No-one should have to go through what the families have experienced.”

The court heard Mackrell, who did not give evidence during the trial, had no previous convictions and there had been evidence he was thought of as “highly competent and conscientious.”

The former club secretary, the first person to be convicted for an offence relating to the disaster, was found guilty by a majority of 10 to two on April 3 following a 10-week trial.

Mackrell, of Stocking Pelham in Hertfordshire, stood trial alongside match commander David Duckenfield.

After deliberating for 29 hours and six minutes, the jury failed to reach a verdict on whether the former chief superintendent was guilty of the gross negligence manslaughter of 95 of the victims.

A hearing to decide whether Duckenfield will face a retrial is expected to be held next month.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 11,791
We need:£ 6,209
8 Days remaining
Donate today