Skip to main content

Men's Football Forest's summer spending spree not over, Cooper says

NOTTINGHAM Forest boss Steve Cooper (top) says his side’s spending spree is not over as they gear up for their Premier League return.

The Reds have already brought in 12 players ahead of their first game in the top tier for 23 years at Newcastle on Saturday.

Jesse Lingard and Dean Henderson headline the those arrivals, with the club’s transfer record also being broken on Taiwo Awoniyi, but Cooper says there could be more to come.

Asked whether there would be more business done, he said: “I think there will be more ins and outs. A number I don’t know.

“It’s not a straightforward process in bringing a player in, I don’t know in terms of numbers.

“My focus is on the players that are already here, I imagine we’re getting linked with all sorts of names, maybe some truth in them and some there will be no truth at all.

“My focus is on the guys who are coming into training every day and preparing for the next game, because they deserve 100 per cent attention.”

It has has been a huge overhaul of the squad, featuring several loanees, who won promotion via the Championship play-off and Cooper admits there have been more changes than would have been ideal.

“We knew the changes were coming whatever league we were in this season,” he added. “Even if we hadn’t got promoted we knew there would be a lot of changes in personnel for a number of reasons.

“There’s still a good core of players who are still here which was a massive part to our success last year and we want to continue to build that.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 8,011
We need:£ 9,989
15 Days remaining
Donate today