Skip to main content

Murray’s Australian Open in doubt after positive Covid test

ANDY MURRAY’S participation at next month’s Australian Open is in doubt after he tested positive for coronavirus, it was revealed today.

The former world number one was due to travel to Australia on one of the 18 charter flights laid on by tournament organisers but is still isolating at home.

Murray, who is said to be in good health, is reportedly hoping to be able to arrive in Australia at a later date and participate in the year’s first grand slam, which begins on February 8 in Melbourne.

Tournament organisers spent several months negotiating an arrangement that was acceptable to local and national government agencies regarding the admission of more than 1,000 tennis players and associated personnel to Australia.

Murray and his team are working closely with tournament director Craig Tiley to try to come up with an acceptable solution.

But a statement from the Australian Open appeared not to offer the player too much hope, saying: “Andy Murray has advised that he has tested positive to Covid-19 and is isolating at home in the UK.

“Unfortunately this means he will be unable to join the official AO charter flights arriving in Australia in the coming days to go through the quarantine period with the other players.

“The AO fans love Andy, and we know how much he loves competing here in Melbourne and how hard he’d worked for this opportunity.”

Players began arriving in the country today ahead of a two-week period of quarantine, during which time they are allowed out of their rooms to practise for five hours a day.

They were told that a positive test prior to flying would mean that they were not allowed to travel to Australia.

Murray has been given a wild card for the tournament and is hoping to make his first appearance in Melbourne since the emotional events of 2019, when he revealed the extent of his hip problems and raised the possibility of imminent retirement.

A resurfacing operation shortly afterwards allowed him to resume his career that summer but he has experienced several medical setbacks since.

He spoke positively about his fitness in November and last month played two matches at the Battle of the Brits event, beating Dan Evans and Cameron Norrie.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 13,538
We need:£ 4,462
8 Days remaining
Donate today