Skip to main content

Six people killed in Russian attacks on Ukraine over the weekend

SIX PEOPLE were killed in Russian attacks on Ukraine over the weekend, local officials reported today.

Two people were killed and three more injured in the Kherson area after more than 100 shells bombarded the region on Saturday, local governor Oleksandr Prokudin wrote on social media.

Two guided bombs later hit key infrastructure in Kherson city, sparking a partial blackout and disruption to the area’s water supply, reported the head of the city’s military administration, Roman Mrochko.

Local officials said two more people had died in the Donetsk area and that a 57-year-old man and a 54-year-old woman had been killed by an air strike that destroyed their home in the Kharkiv region.

Meanwhile, the Russian defence ministry announced today that Ukraine had launched 27 drones in an overnight attack on western Russia.

Officials said that 18 drones were shot down over the Kursk region, leading to speculation in the Russian press that the attack could have been targeting the nearby Khalino military airfield.

Images on social media showed burning debris a mile from the airbase, which was previously attacked by Ukrainian forces at the end of September.

Kursk governor Roman Starovoit reported that debris had fallen in the region’s namesake capital and the nearby village of Zorino. No casualties were reported.

Officials also said that two more drones had been shot down over Russia’s Belgorod region, but did not confirm the fate of the remaining seven drones.

Ukrainian media outlets later said that Kiev’s forces had carried out a successful strike on Russia’s Krasnaya Yaruga electrical substation, close to the Ukrainian border.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

 

 

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 5,241
We need:£ 12,759
17 Days remaining
Donate today