Skip to main content

Bodies exhumed in mass graves in Panama believed to be be victims of 1989 US invasion

WORK is continuing in Panama after the discovery of mass graves believed to be victims of the 1989 US invasion of the Central American country, authorities confirmed today.

Attorney General Geomara Guerra said that four bags of remains had been discovered on Thursday at a cemetery in the city of Colon.

“We plan to keep doing the work to dig in the earth and see how many more bags could be there,” he said.

The remains were found in bags that were used by US soldiers for burials, Mr Guerra said.

Human rights organisations have consistently stated that the real number of victims of the US military invasion is much higher than the official figure of 300.

Families have been searching for the bodies of their loved ones for more than 30 years, many of them dumped in mass graves.

Last year the remains of around 30 unidentified people were found at a dig in the Jardin de Paz cemetery.

US forces invaded Panama on December 20 1989 to oust former CIA asset general Manuel Noriega as part of its so-called war on drugs.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 3,273
We need:£ 14,727
24 Days remaining
Donate today