Skip to main content

Libyans call for peace amid impending humanitarian disaster

LIBYANS warned on Saturday of an impending humanitarian disaster with the continued attack on the capital Tripoli by General Khalifa Haftar’s forces.

UN high commissioner for human rights Michele Bachelet warned that the targeting of civilians and infrastructure could amount to war crimes as Libyan National Army forces seek to oust the UN-backed government of national accord.

Activists warned that the indiscriminate use of heavy artillery by the LNA as it advances on the capital could force thousands to flee if Gen Hifter’s forces take control of Tripoli.

They called for the international community, including Saudi Arabia, which handed Gen Haftar millions of dollars before the offensive, to urge an end to the attacks and a return to peaceful negotiations.

Ongoing battles around Tripoli have resulted in 75 deaths and 323 wounded, according to the World Health Organisation.

The WHO said it had delivered enough medical supplies to hospitals in the area for two weeks “during this dangerous stage.”

The organisation said that 6,000 people had fled so far, stating that there were emergency plans to deal with the unfolding situation.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 9,338
We need:£ 7,662
13 Days remaining
Donate today