Skip to main content

Men's Rugby League Wakefield make history with victory over Huddersfield

BEN Jones-Bishop scored twice as Wakefield overcame Huddersfield yesterday to register four successive Super League wins at the start of a season for the first time in the club’s history.

Former Leeds winger Jones-Bishop touched down in both halves with clinical finishes as Chris Chester’s upwardly mobile side underlined their status as early-season contenders with a 22-4 victory.

Huddersfield were game enough opponents but their discipline undermined them and the only reward for Rick Stone’s men was a first-half try for Lee Gaskell.

Liam Finn was instrumental throughout for Trinity and claimed 10 points with the boot, while Huddersfield’s third defeat from four outings was confirmed by a late third try from Mason Caton-Brown.

Trinity have made huge strides in recent seasons but they were forced to dig deep to defend their line for the opening 20 minutes.

After a knock-on by former Giants full-back Scott Grix, the visitors went close through Dale Ferguson before Oliver Roberts was denied on the last tackle.

Danny Brough began to exert an increasing influence on proceedings and his clever kick trapped Grix in his in-goal area and forced the hosts to drop out.

Huddersfield continued to probe without reward as a grubber from Jordan Rankin forced a second drop-out and there was soon a third which Wakefield showed admirable tenacity to defend.

Giants loose forward Ryan Hinchcliffe knocked on in the left corner when well placed before Adam O’Brien, Paul Clough and Rankin combined to find England winger Jermaine McGillvary, who went close in the right corner.

Wakefield, having defended their line with aplomb in a scoreless opening quarter, began to ask some questions of their own and Finn’s kick forced a drop-out which led to a 23rd-minute opener for Jones-Bishop.

Some slick handling led to Grix throwing a fine long pass out to Jones-Bishop, who finished in style as he dived over in the right corner.

Finn converted superbly but Huddersfield hit back when, after Jake Mamo was denied, a quick pass from replacement hooker Kruise Leeming sent Gaskell over in the right corner.

Brough could not convert and the Giants conceded a glut of penalties in the second half, two of which Finn converted before Jones-Bishop grabbed his second in the 54th minute.

Collecting a perfectly timed kick from Finn in the right corner, Jones-Bishop caught and grounded the ball which Finn again improved.

That came after the Giants had been put on a team warning by referee Gareth Hewer and which saw Leeming sent to the sin bin for infringement.

From there Wakefield saw out the game and claimed a late third when Caton-Brown went over in the left corner, which Finn again converted to the delight of the home supporters in a crowd of 4,055.


We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 8,728
We need:£ 9,272
21 Days remaining
Donate today