Skip to main content

Anti-racism activists condemn Glasgow council for letting Loyalist marches go ahead

GLASGOW City Council has come under fire from anti-racism activists after giving the green light to a loyalist parade organised by the Pride of Govan Flute Band this weekend.

Despite a ban on such marches after street violence last month, the council is now appealing to organisers to voluntarily cancel the action and called on other groups not to mount counterprotests.

“It’s shocking that the council are ceding to the demands of a group who have essentially threatened violence,” said Glasgow-based activist Michael Douglas. “It’s allowing harassment and threats to continue.”

The march is scheduled to pass a pre-planned rally for Scottish independence, with campaigner Lindsey Ellen Peebles urging attendees on social media to “turn your backs to them and ignore them completely.”

But a council spokesman said the local authority “has been placed in an impossible position.”

“Police Scotland has said that should the procession not go ahead, many of the 800 people due to take part will react angrily — which could lead to violence and a significant impact on the local community.”

Assistant Chief Constable Bernard Higgins said: “Our view is that if the processions were banned, some form of protest and disorder could still take place and the policing profile for Saturday would therefore be similar.

“If the processions go ahead it would allow us to continue to engage with known organisers to ensure balanced rights were upheld and to police the events under the conditions agreed by the council.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 5,122
We need:£ 12,878
27 Days remaining
Donate today