Skip to main content

Far-right group threatens to disrupt Bloody Sunday memorial service in Glasgow

A FAR-RIGHT protest is set to take place in Glasgow against a Bloody Sunday memorial, with anti-racism campaigners warning of “hatred and division” on the city’s streets.

The National Defence League (NDL), which regularly posts anti-Islam, anti-Irish and anti-migrant messaging online, has threatened to disrupt a parade remembering the massacre in the city centre on Saturday.

The NDL has previously called for a full ban on burqas in Britain, as well as suggesting that Muslim migrants will seek to kill those who “do not submit” to Islam.

Anti-fascist campaigners Hope Not Hate say that the group was born from the far-right English Defence League (EDL), “with the same old messaging of hatred and division.”

Head of investigations Matthew Collins said: “It’s also just another way to draw more cash out of the desperate people that still believe in their rubbish.”

The far-right organisers have now appealed to loyalists to support them in challenging a march organised by the West of Scotland Band Alliance.

Parade organisers also expect 200 people to take part on Saturday.

The 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre saw British soldiers shoot 28 unarmed civilians during a protest march against internment in Derry.

The “IRA off our streets” protest has been shared hundreds of times, with organisers saying that they want to make this the last republican march in Glasgow.

Last year another republican parade was disrupted by loyalists in Govan, as missiles were thrown and road blocks set on fire.

Concerns have been raised about whether violent scenes could recur.

A spokeswoman for anti-racism group Call It Out said: “The targeting by far-right/orange groups of marches organised by sections of the Irish community is an increasing and worrying development.

“Counter-protests are perfectly legal and acceptable but we know from the experience of last year that they are likely to use violence against the police in their attempt to intimidate our community.  

“We hope that the authorities will ensure lawful marches are allowed to proceed peacefully and that the media will not repeat their practice of blaming the intended victims alongside the perpetrators.”

Police Scotland say that they are aware of the event, and any issues arising will be “policed appropriately.”

Chief Superintendent Mark Hargreaves said: “Our priority is to ensure the safety of all people involved in any event and of the wider community.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 7,833
We need:£ 10,167
11 Days remaining
Donate today