Skip to main content

Hundreds of jobs lost at Wilko after bid for for collapsed retailer falls through

HUNDREDS of jobs will be lost at Wilko after a bid for the entirety of the collapsed retailer fell through.

The only potential bidder, which had said it would protect all 12,500 employees and 400 Wilko sites, missed a deadline set by administrator PwC.

PwC said: “It is now clear that no viable offer structure put forward includes the group in its entirety,” adding that 269 support centre workers will have their last day with the business on Monday.

There will be further redundancies across the company’s two distribution centres from early next week, it said.

The GMB union said a bidder, reported to be M2 Capital, had not submitted the evidence needed to show it could buy the business.

PwC also said there had been no viable offers for Kin Limited, a subsidiary of the company. Kin has been forced to close, with 14 jobs gone.

The administrator said discussions are continuing with bidders interested in buying parts of the business.

The GMB said: “As a result of this unwelcome development, the redundancy processes which were paused two days ago are set to restart almost instantly.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

 

 

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 4,546
We need:£ 13,454
26 Days remaining
Donate today