Skip to main content

Labour Party dumps former Haringey council leader Joe Ejiofor

A FORMER leader of Haringey council has been dumped by the Labour Party before the London local elections.

Councillor Joe Ejiofor, who led the council from 2018 until 2021, was barred by the Regional Labour Party on Saturday from standing in the May local elections.

Mr Ejiofor, who, until he lost the leadership in 2021, was the only black leader of a London council and one of the few in the country, confirmed in a tweet on Sunday that the regional party had “removed me as a Labour candidate yesterday.”

In a further statement, Mr Ejiofor said he believed that he had been “targeted by my own party in a Kafkaesque process resulting in an unjust ruling.”

He expressed suspicion that the main charges against him were his “decision not to knock down seven council houses” and “to support changing the name of Black Boy Lane” in the borough to La Rose Lane.

Mr Ejiofor said that he would “take legal advice on further avenues to appeal this unfair and unsustainable ruling.”

The Labour Party was approached for comment.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

 

 

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 4,546
We need:£ 13,454
26 Days remaining
Donate today