Skip to main content

Workers are more concerned about safety since government’s ‘stay alert’ advice

WORKERS have become increasingly concerned about health and safety since the government encouraged those who can to return to work, a survey revealed today.

The proportion of adults worried about health and safety in the workplace during the coronavirus outbreak almost doubled in the space of a week, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

The ONS polled 1,030 adults between May 21 and 24 as part of its opinions and lifestyle survey.

More than four in 10 said their work had been affected by coronavirus over the past seven days.

Of the sample of 310 people asked why, a fifth said it was due to health and safety concerns, making it the third biggest concern behind decreased hours and being furloughed.

The surge in concern follows the change in advice from the government on May 10, from “stay at home” to “stay alert.”

The advice included encouraging those in England who were unable to work from home to return to their jobs if their workplace was open from May 13.
 

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 14,106
We need:£ 3,894
7 Days remaining
Donate today