Skip to main content

Bahrain upholds dodgy death sentences for supposed assassination plot

BAHRAIN’S top court yesterday upheld death sentences handed down by a military tribunal to four men accused of plotting to kill the head of the country’s armed forces.

The men face imminent execution — despite a secretive and unfair trial — along with four others previously convicted and sentenced to death based on false confessions extracted through torture.

Telecoms engineer Sayed Alawi Sayed Hussain was abducted on October 24 2016. Another of the defendants, Fadel Radhi, was taken from his home on September 29 2016.

Both men were “disappeared” for months, with their families not told where they were being held or what they were accused of.

Their lawyers have not been allowed to see the evidence against them and a gag order prevents them from disclosing anything heard in court to the press.

Sayed Alwadaei, advocacy director of the Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy, said the sentences were “patently illegal under international law.”

Human rights charity Reprieve director Maya Foa said the trials and sentences were “an egregious violation of human rights” and noted that Britain had spent millions of pounds “training” Bahraini police and prison guards.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 6,340
We need:£ 11,660
20 Days remaining
Donate today