Skip to main content

Houthis threaten ‘strong and effective response’ to fresh US airstrikes

YEMEN’S Houthi government threatened to take a “strong and effective response” after the United States carried out another strike in the country over the weekend.

The latest strike on Saturday, which the US said hit a radar site, came a day after dozens of US and British strikes on Houthi facilities in Yemen.

Houthi spokesman Mohammed Abdulsalam told Reuters that the strikes, including the one overnight that hit a military base in Sanaa, had no significant impact on the group’s ability to prevent Israel-affiliated vessels from passing through the Red Sea and Arabian Sea.

Nasruldeen Amer, another spokesman, told Al Jazeera: “This new strike will have a firm, strong and effective response,” saing there had been no injuries or “material damages.”

US President Joe Biden said that his government has delivered a “private message” to Iran about the Houthis, which Tehran reportedly back, but did not specify what the message said.

United Nations special envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg called on Saturday for maximum restraint by “all involved” and warned of an increasingly dangerous situation in the region.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

 

 

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 10,353
We need:£ 7,647
10 Days remaining
Donate today