This is the last article you can read this month
You can read more article this month
You can read more articles this month
Sorry your limit is up for this month
Reset on:
Please help support the Morning Star by subscribing here
DECLASSIFIED UK urged the International Criminal Court today to investigate what Britain is doing to support Israel’s crimes from its Cyprus air base.
An investigation by the news site revealed that the Ministry of Defence has taken the unusual step of blocking all questions by MPs concerning RAF Akrotiri.
The move takes place amid concerns that the base, which is a 40-minute flight from Tel Aviv, has become an international hub facilitating Israel’s bombing of Gaza.
Over 30 military flights to Tel Aviv have taken off from the base since Israel intensified its bombing of Gaza on October 7.
In the latest on Sunday, an A400M Atlas military transport aircraft was sent from the Cyprus base to Tel Aviv, but the MoD failed to provide any details regarding its cargo.
According to Declassified UK, about half of the US aircraft departing from Akrotiri are said to be transporting weapons destined for Israel.
Alba MP for East Lothian Kenny MacAskill said he asked the MoD about the role of the RAF base in providing support to Israel, only to be told his query had been subject to a block by the government.
“This is totally unacceptable in a democracy. Genocide is being perpetrated in Gaza and we have a right to know what our government is doing about it,” Mr MacAskill said.
Stop the War co-founder John Rees echoed concerns over transparency.
He said: “If the British government is going to use taxpayers’ money to support the attack on Gaza, if they’re going to send British troops into a war zone or to support people who are conducting this massacre, then that is absolutely something that British voters should know about.”