Skip to main content

Sargeant family consider inquiry legal challenge

CARL SARGEANT’S family are considering a legal challenge to the independent inquiry into his sacking from the Welsh government over groping allegations.

The Assembly Member was found dead at his home, having apparently taken his own life four days after being removed from his post as communities and children secretary. 

The father-of-two was suspended from the Labour Party over allegations of “unwanted attention, inappropriate touching or groping.”

He was not told the details of what he was accused of and was unable to properly defend himself, his family said.

An independent inquiry into the handling of Mr Sargeant’s sacking is still to be held by the Welsh government in Cardiff.

But Mr Sargeant's family said today that they have been excluded from the process and will challenge it at the High Court if necessary.

Neil Hudgell, representing the family, said: “The grieving Sargeant family are losing patience and faith in the inquiry and are hurt and upset that everything they have asked for has been ignored.”

An inquest into Mr Sargeant’s death is also yet to be held.

A second pre-inquest hearing last Friday was told that Mr Sargeant had been suffering from depression for two years before his death.

The inquest has been adjourned to a date to be fixed.

A Welsh government spokeswoman said: “We will consider the detailed legal arguments carefully but consider the proposed proceedings to be misconceived.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 5,907
We need:£ 12,093
18 Days remaining
Donate today