Skip to main content

Ankara bombing victim's father sentenced for ‘insulting the president’

TURKISH justice was exposed again today after the father of a man killed in an Ankara massacre was sentenced to 10 months in prison on charges of “insulting the president.”

Mustafa Dogan, whose son Guney Dogan was among 109 people killed in the October 2015 bomb attacks on a peace rally in the Turkish capital, was sentenced for accusing President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of being responsible for the blast.

Authorities say Mr Dogan made the statement on September 11 last year but he explained to the Ankara West Courthouse that he could not remember what he said on the day.

“I don’t remember if I said that or not. I was grieving and I demand my mood to be considered after that hearing. I am not guilty. I demand my acquittal,” he said.

Prosecutors claimed that the grieving father said: “We do not trust in the judiciary of this country. The killer state will answer to us. Who killed our sons and daughters in that massacre is the government. 

“This must be known. It is the AKP government and fascist Tayyip Erdogan. He who destroyed the future of my son is Tayyip Erdogan.”

The official narrative is that the bomb blasts, which hit the rally organised by trade unionists and left-wing political parties including the People’s Democratic Party, was carried out by an Isis cell.

But many point the finger at the government and highlight its lacking response to the attacks. Emergency services were hindered from reaching the victims and the injured were attacked by police with tear gas.

An EU intelligence report, written three days after the attacks and leaked to the Ahval news site last year, alleged that Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) ordered Isis to carry out the bombings.

The secret document seen by the website, which is associated with exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen, claimed that “the modus operandi of the attack (suicide bombers) points to Da’esh.”

But it concluded: “Given the circumstances (arriving buses with demonstrators not searched, police almost absent at the huge demonstration) there is reason to believe that, in this case, forces within the AKP commissioned the Da’esh operatives.”

A November 2017 trial heard suspect Suphi Alpfida allege that police officers in Gaziantep knew about the bombings beforehand and personally knew the leaders of the Isis cell responsible.

It was also claimed that police failed to act on an active arrest warrant leaving Isis mastermind Yunus Durmaz, who allegedly planned the Ankara attack and Suruc bombing, free to conduct the massacres.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 6,990
We need:£ 11,010
15 Days remaining
Donate today