Skip to main content

Guyana blocks US propaganda being pumped into Venezuela from its airwaves

GUYANA has blocked US attempts to use one of its medium-wave radio towers to pump right-wing propaganda into neighbouring Venezuela as part of Washington’s efforts at regime change.

President David Granger confirmed that his government had denied a request to broadcast Voice of America (VoA) from the country’s radio frequencies.

“It would not be in our national interest to do anything to destabilise relations at this time,” he said.

The move is the latest attempt to undermine Venezuela’s democratically elected President Nicolas Maduro and comes as US special envoy to Venezuela Elliott Abrams outlined plans to finance a media campaign against the Bolivarian government.

It is understood that the US request to use Guyana’s towers to “reach populations in Venezuela” dates back to April.

Venezuelan Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza said on Saturday that the news confirmed complaints made by Mr Maduro about a bid to invade Venezuela’s radio space.

Earlier this year Mr Abrams said that he aimed to take Venezuelan socialist broadcaster Telesur off the air soon after hapless opposition leader Juan Guaido claimed that the network supported terrorism, though he offered no evidence.

VoA is part of the US Agency for Global Media, which also includes Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, the Middle East Broadcasting Networks and the Office of Cuba Broadcasting. 

It claims to “inform, engage and connect people around the world in support of freedom and democracy.”

But like its sister organisations, VoA , which was established during the cold war, is in effect a propaganda machine serving the interests of the US government.

Washington has been accused of interfering in Guyana’s electoral process in its bid to oust Mr Maduro from power in neighbouring Venezuela.

The US imposed visa restrictions on Mr Granger and other government officials accused by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo of “the undermining of democracy.”

The Guyana Elections Commission (Gecom) has not yet officially announced the results of the presidential elections held on March 2, which is subject to legal challenges.

Mr Granger’s APNU-APC alliance won the poll but a recount, which concluded on June 8, appeared to show the opposition PPP/C party had gained the most votes.

Guyana’s acting chief justice is set to rule on Monday on a lawsuit that seeks to block Gecom from announcing the result using the votes from the recount.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 15,468
We need:£ 2,532
2 Days remaining
Donate today