Skip to main content

Journalists blocked from documenting Moria devastation, press groups warns

JOURNALISTS and photographers are being blocked by police from documenting the aftermath of a blaze that destroyed the Moria refugee camp on the Greek island of Lesbos, a press monitoring group said today.

According to Mapping Media Freedom (MMF), police told the reporters that the restrictions were in place due to an unspecified “military operation.”

They were also informed that they were prevented from accessing the area due to the risk of Covid-19 as part of the camp had been in lockdown after an outbreak.

More than 12,000 refugees were forced to live on the side of the road without shelter after the fire on September 9 gutted the camp on the Greek island, which has been described as a “holding pen” for asylum-seekers.

Some have since been rehoused in a temporary site in nearby Kare Tepe.

Photojournalists were reportedly ejected from both the camp and the nearby town of Mytilene on Monday without reason. Intermittent restrictions were applied again today.

All journalists were barred from the area by police who gave no reason for the restrictions but said they were under orders “not to let press in.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 10,322
We need:£ 7,678
8 Days remaining
Donate today