Skip to main content

No coronavirus deaths in China for first time since January in new breakthrough

CHINA reported no new domestically transmitted cases of coronavirus and no deaths today for the first time since January.

This marks a new milestone in its efforts to beat the spread of Covid-19.

The National Health Commission said that all of the 32 new cases of the virus reported on Monday were from overseas, with the total number of imported cases standing at 983.

Cases have been falling since March due to the measures taken in China’s “people’s war” against the coronavirus.

This included aggressive contact tracing, early testing and the lockdown of the 58-million population of Hubei province, including the city of Wuhan where the outbreak originated.

Beijing’s efforts have been consistently praised by the World Health Organisation.

But both have come under fire from Britain, the US and their allies in the corporate press by continuing to spread accusations that China covered up details of the Covid-19 outbreak.

But the allegations do not tally with the facts.

On Monday Beijing shared a timeline of events to counter the anti-China propaganda being pumped out on a daily basis.

It explained that the country’s medical facilities had been informed of an outbreak of an unknown strand of pneumonia in Wuhan on December 30 2019. 

The following day the local authorities told the public not to go to enclosed public places or gather. The public were also advised to wear face masks when going out, according to the timeline.

China’s Centre for Disease Control sequenced the virus’s genome within 10 days of receiving its first report from Wuhan.

It immediately shared the information on the genome sequence with the WHO on January 11.

It implemented a full lockdown in Hubei, along with a partial lockdown throughout the country on January 23.

The WHO worked with China to produce a full field report in mid-February.

US Republican Senator Rick Scott has called for a congressional inquiry into the WHO, accusing the body of regurgitating communist propaganda and threatened to cut its funding.

And the Foreign Policy journal said in an article: “The WHO both receives funding from China and is dependent on the regime of the Communist Party on many levels.”

But the WHO receives funding from all 193 United Nations member states.

This includes the US, which is its main donor and accounts for 22 per cent of assessed contributions.

The US has been accused of ratcheting up a global propaganda campaign to mask its own inadequacies.

It is now the centre of the pandemic, with nearly 370,000 recorded cases and more than 11,000 deaths.

Today it emerged that President Donald Trump was warned by his Trade Secretary Peter Navarro in mid-January that failure to contain the virus would lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths and economic losses of trillions of dollars.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 3,787
We need:£ 14,213
28 Days remaining
Donate today