Skip to main content

North Korea calls for US to be held accountable for war crimes in Afghanistan

NORTH KOREA has called for the United States to be held accountable for war crimes committed during its 20 years of war and occupation in Afghanistan.

Its Foreign Ministry said on Sunday that Washington must be brought to justice for its “mass atrocities,” citing reports by international bodies detailing the magnitude of the destruction US forces caused.

“At this moment in time, the world is raising voices demanding that US troops be brought to justice at all costs for US atrocities of mass destruction committed against innocent people in this country and that a stern judgement be made on the criminals,” a statement said.

The ministry said that those places “trampled upon by the US troops were reduced to the barren land of human rights,” warning that the US has committed similar crimes across the world in its self-proclaimed role as the “judge of human rights.”

Calls are growing for an investigation into how 10 members of one family, including six children, were targeted in a US drone strike in Kabul last month. 

US President Joe Biden initially claimed that two Isis bombers had been killed in the targeted attack —  he had authorised the strike in the aftermath of the bombing of Kabul airport in which 170 people were killed.

But an investigative report from the New York Times claims there were no Isis fighters in the vicinity of the strike, which killed charity worker Zemaria Ahmadi and his family.

Journalist Glenn Greenwald has accused the Biden administration of lying about who it killed, which he said was “a perfect summation of the US’s endless wars.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 10,087
We need:£ 7,931
9 Days remaining
Donate today