Skip to main content

Palestinian groups call for support for BDS as Israel pounds Gaza and extends killing spree to West Bank

A COALITION of Palestinian organisations and trade unions has called for maximum turnout at protests against Israel’s brutal war on Gaza.

They spoke out as the war escalated today, with troops killing six Palestinians in the West Bank and firing at protesters on the Lebanese border while Israel began a combined tank bombardment and aerial blitz of Gaza City.

Signatories included Save Sheikh Jarrar – the Sheikh Jarrar Families, the General Union of Palestine Workers, the General Union of Palestinian Women, the Palestinian Journalists Syndicate and many more. They urged support for the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement.

Palestinians grabbed their children and belongings and began to flee the city as an air raid killed an entire family of six, including four children aged seven and under, in their home. Israel said its bombardment was clearing the way for a ground invasion.

Lieutenant General Jonathan Conricus said: “As always, the aim is to strike military targets and to minimise collateral damage. Unlike our very elaborate efforts to clear civilian areas before we strike high-rise or large buildings inside Gaza, that wasn’t feasible this time.”

Israel has massed troops along the border and called up 9,000 reservists as its bombardment continues. The Gaza Health Ministry said that 119 people had been killed in the strip, including 31 children. Seven Israelis have lost their lives to rocket fire from Gaza that began on Monday in response to Israel’s assault on worshippers at the al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem’s Old City.

Israel received backing from US President Joe Biden, who said there “has not been a significant overreaction” and the goal should be “to get to the point where there is a significant reduction in attacks, particularly rocket attacks.” 

An Egyptian official who, with diplomats from Qatar and the United Nations, was involved in trying to broker a ceasefire, said a proposal for year-long truce due to begin at midnight had been agreed by Hamas but rejected by Israel. A Hamas spokesman said the group was not worried about the prospect of a ground invasion, which would provide it with a chance to “increase our catch” of Israeli soldiers.

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 11,195
We need:£ 6,805
12 Days remaining
Donate today