This is the last article you can read this month
You can read more article this month
You can read more articles this month
Sorry your limit is up for this month
Reset on:
Please help support the Morning Star by subscribing here
ALGERIAN authorities detained Reuters journalist Tarek Amara before deporting him from the country yesterday where he was reporting on demonstrations demanding the resignation of President Abdelaziz Bouteflika.
Mr Amara was picked up by Algerian police after a report by the Reuters news agency stated that one million people had joined Friday’s huge protest in the capital Algiers calling for the government to stand down.
Algeria’s National Security Directorate released a statement dismissing the accuracy of the Reuters report and said it “denies what has been circulated especially regarding figures in the media, national or foreign, about the number of participants in marches which the capital Algiers witnessed on Friday March 29.”
The journalist was held before being deported on a plane to his native Tunisia.
A spokesman for Reuters said: “We are concerned by the Algerian authorities’ treatment of Reuters journalist Tarek Amara and are seeking further information on the matter.
“Tarek’s reporting on the protests in Algiers was fair and balanced.”
Demonstrations have taken place in Algeria for more than a month, starting after Mr Bouteflika announced his intention to stand for a fifth term of office, despite rarely being seen in public since a 2013 stroke.
Since then Algeria has been gripped by what are believed to be the largest protests since liberation from France in 1962.
Mr Bouteflika scrapped elections planned for later this month, however he appeared to be attempting to cling onto power.
He finally backed down after members of his ruling FLN party called for him to stand down. Last week the armed forces joined calls for his resignation, calling for a peaceful transition of power.
According to state television, Mr Bouteflika is set to announce his resignation tomorrow. Yesterday, the government named a 27-man caretaker cabinet headed by serving Prime Minister Noureddine Bedoui.