This is the last article you can read this month
You can read more article this month
You can read more articles this month
Sorry your limit is up for this month
Reset on:
Please help support the Morning Star by subscribing here
SERBIA was shocked by another mass shooting today, after a gunman fired at random as the country was in mourning from a school attack earlier this week.
The shooter, who wore a pro-Nazi T-shirt, killed eight people and wounded 14 in a series of villages in Serbia on Thursday evening, according to authorities.
Police said a suspect, identified by the initials UB, was arrested near the central Serbian town of Kragujevac, about 60 miles south of Belgrade.
A photo was released showing a young man in a police car in a blue T-shirt bearing the slogan Generation 88.
The double eights are often used as shorthand for Heil Hitler.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic called the shootings an attack on the whole nation and vowed that the suspect “will never again see the light of day.”
The attack came just a day after a 13-year-old boy used his father’s guns to kill eight of his peers and a guard at a school in the capital.
The last mass shooting in the Balkan nation before this week was in 2013, when a war veteran killed 13 people in a central Serbian village.
Mr Vucic announced tougher gun control measures today on top of the ones put forward by the government on Wednesday.
He called for a moratorium on new licences for all weapons in the next two years, a review of all current licences, longer prison sentences for those who break the rules and “fierce” punishment for anyone with illegal weapons.
The police will first offer an amnesty to encourage people to hand over illegal guns, he said — an action that has had limited success in the past.
“We will disarm Serbia,” Mr Vucic said.