Skip to main content

Nick Conrad steps down as Tory parliamentary candidate after rape remarks

A TORY parliamentary candidate and former BBC Radio Norfolk presenter who had said that women should “keep their knickers on” to avoid being raped has announced that he is standing down.

Nick Conrad was selected to stand for Broadland in Norfolk despite the comments, made in 2014 during a radio discussion about a rape case involving footballer Ched Evans.

Mr Evans had been jailed for rape but his conviction was subsequently quashed and he was cleared at a retrial in 2016.

Mr Conrad said at the time: “Women also have to understand that when a man’s given certain signals he’ll wish to act upon them.

“If you don’t wish to give out the wrong signals it’s best, probably, to keep your knickers on and not get into bed with him. Does that make sense?”

In response to his selection, Women Against Rape spokesperson Nicola Mann told the Star on Thursday that he would be “unfit to hold public office.”

Following the backlash, Mr Conrad said he would be “reluctantly” standing aside as the media attention was becoming a “distraction” from the Tory campaign ahead of next month’s general election.

He said: “Five years ago I made ill-judged comments during an on-air radio discussion for which I made a genuine and heartfelt apology.”

Shadow education secretary Angela Rayner, who was among those calling for him to stand down, said he should never have been selected.

She said: “The fact that he was chosen in the first place and the fact that Boris Johnson stood by him is further proof that the party is infected with sexism from top to bottom.”

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 8,311
We need:£ 9,689
10 Days remaining
Donate today