Skip to main content

South Africa Ramaphosa and Zuma in ‘transition’ talks

SOUTH Africa’s government insisted it was business as usual yesterday as President Jacob Zuma and his deputy held talks on a “transition.”

Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa issued a statement on the talks, first revealed on Tuesday night when the ruling ANC said a special meeting of its national executive committee to discuss the issue had been postponed following “fruitful and constructive engagements” between the two.

Mr Ramaphosa said the discussions were ongoing “for a speedy resolution of the matter in the interests of the country and its people” and the two would make a joint statement “in the coming days.”

“The uncertainty surrounding the position of the head of state and government is a cause for concern among many South Africans,” he said.

“Both President Zuma and myself are aware that our people want and deserve closure.”

Furious media speculation over the past year of Mr Zuma’s impending exit reached fever pitch this week.

On Tuesday night, Mr Zuma’s office denounced the circulation of a fake press release purportedly announcing a visit by Russian President Vladimir Putin.

That fed into last year’s false opposition claims the government had awarded a contract for a new nuclear power station to a Russian firm. 

On Monday,  ANC supporters beat Black Land First supporters, including women, at a Hands Off Zuma march outside the ANC HQ in Johannesburg. 

Elderly victim Nkateko Makete, who was kicked while on the floor, said on Tuesday that she had not been part of the march, having  come to deliver a petition to the provincial government to improve services in her deprived Orange Farm community. 

OWNED BY OUR READERS

We're a reader-owned co-operative, which means you can become part of the paper too by buying shares in the People’s Press Printing Society.

Become a supporter

Fighting fund

You've Raised:£ 10,710
We need:£ 7,290
5 Days remaining
Donate today
X